28 August 2013

GamesCom 2013

As you might know gamescom was this month and i have also attended this major event for 2 days, i wanted to share my experience visiting that great event daily here in my blog.
Sadly this plan went into the garbage can when my hotel was forcing me to pay (a lot) for poor quality WiFi.
So i am posting my experience of gamescom here a few days later after the great time there.
 Day1 (Friday) 
After a long drive from Meppen (Germany) i arrived at Cologne (Koln) around 10:30 i was dropped near the Messe so i had to walk not far and it took me only a few minutes to get there.

Although Cologne is a big city, it was easy to get there thanks to the printed google map and the many signs that told me go this direction to gamescom.

I had more problems getting in, thank to the stupid bar code on my ticket that was not working.
But after waiting in line with many that had the same problem it was fixed by printing me a new one.

Once in, i was startled by the size of this game event, even with the map of gamescom i had no idea where to start, so started to make my way to the first hall i entered.

Hall 9 that was filled half with PC and Nintendo games and the other half with T-shirts and other goody's.

It was funny to see so much anime clothing and fully dressed game statues were there even a few nice t-shirts of the game one-piece, which i would totally love to wear if i had not seen some other things i wanted even more.

But I decided to not buy anything yet since i could easily do so later when it was less crowded at that corner of hall 9.

After a small walk i arrived at hall seven aka playstation heaven, i first entered the  PS Vita stand to play Killzone Mercenary and wow this game feels really just like Killzone3 and that's amazing.

I only played it for say 15 minutes but damn after that i felt like that this is a must buy for any fps fan :p


Next to the PS Vita stand were a few nice indie games for PS3, i played doki doki universe for a few minutes and then I decided to step in line for the PS4 stand.

So a 4 hour wait only to have a go at the PS4 surely is a bad idea but nonetheless i wanted to try it so much that I kept my patience and once I was in it felt like it was all worth it.

I did not get to play Killzone Shadow Fall or Infamous Second Son but did get the chance to play a few PS4 games including Drive Club.

Now I was not too impressed with Drive Club, since it feels like most other race games but it sure is a piece of art, wow that color and lighting.

The PS4 controller is in one word awesome, I felt really comfortable holding the PS4 controller because the hold area is made rough and the weight is almost perfect, the triggers are great for shooters and shaped really well around my fingers.

Now the live presentation of Watch Dogs was done really nice, compared to Killzone or Infamous, the people doing the presentation, interacted great with the audience while showing us the game.

This was a first look at the online multiplayer for Watch Dogs so it appeared.


After that I continued on through a few halls taking a quick look at few stands and made way back to hall 9 to buy some goodies, this was a good idea it was less crowded now making it easier to see allot of T-shirt, hoodies and other geeky stuff.

I bought this Sackboy Plushie, a Starcraft Terran symbol T-shirt and a One Piece Hoody.

After that I made my way to hall 10 and to the exit to head to my hotel,  my last photo for the day was of my gypsy schnitzel with fries dinner, I didn't eat at all, it was just too much.

snitchel o yeah :D
 Day 2 (Saturday) 
With only a few halls left to see i first wanted to play a few games before checking them out, so i made my way to hall 9 thinking that i could play the Witcher 3.

Sadly there was no possibility to play it but I did get a nice t-shirt and a photo.

A few steps away was the Bethesda stand with three of their games,
I stepped in freaking long line that cost me a hour to play a nice 30min of Elder Scrolls online.

Way too short for me but damn those controls felt smooth, the game is really similar to Skyrim, O wait its based on skyrim that makes sense ;-)

After that stepped in my second Bethesda line to play Wolfenstein on a Xbox360 (sorry for that)

As Playstation fan i was not happy to be forced to play on Xbox360 but nonetheless Wolfenstein was awesome and that was all that counts.

I do feel sorry and slightly insulted at the same time because one of the Wolfenstein guys tried to help me, hey come on, the person next to me needed it waaaay more than me ;-) , I just told him i was okay but still felt bad, asking him to not help me even when it is his job.


After a quick spin through the rest of the halls i didn't visit on Day 1, I went to hall 7 again to play a few Playstation titles i did not play the day before.

From these titles Rain stood out the most to me because it feels mysterious and is a little bit like the Unfinished Swan.

The smartest move I made on Day 2 was to eat my lunch in front of the Starcraft Tournament that was held in hall 8, the online games hall.

It was really nice to see 2 matches in front 2 major screens left and right with commentary in english and I was even lucky enough to be sitting in a chair.


I closed my journey of this years Gamescom in hall 10 with the small sections they had there, a mobile section,  a media section and a old school section, that had some neat board games based on games and also the Cosplay Village was in this hall.

I have seen some nice Cosplay in the other halls but this was great and crazy, some girls looked really sexy in their outfits.

After the Cosplay Village i headed to the exit closing gamescom 2013 for me, I closed day 2 with some nice traditional food and a beer (Kölsch) tour visiting the breweries (Brauhauser) of Cologne.


Thank you for reading and if you have also been there share little time to tell me your highlights in the comment section.

Even more photos made by me from gamescom can be found here

GamesCom2013GamesCom2013 Witcher T-Shirt frontGamesCom2013 One Piece Vest frontGamesCom2013 One Piece Vest backGamesCom2013 KeyChainsGamesCom2013 StarCraft T-Shirt
GamesCom2013 MapGamesCom2013 bag 2de sideGamesCom2013 Bag 1st sideGamesCom2013 Ravin RabbitGamesCom2013 SackboyGamesCom2013 Dom Cologne
GamesCom2013 Cosplay VillGamesCom2013 Statue of TLOU Collector Edition USAGamesCom2013 WolfenSteinGamesCom2013 ElderScollsGamesCom2013 Me at Witcher3 StandGamesCom2013 Food
GamesCom2013 Yeah One Piece VestGamesCom2013 StarCraft 2 ScreensGamesCom2013 StarCraft 2 AudienceGamesCom2013 StatueGamesCom2013 PS4GamesCom2013 PS4 Stand

No comments:

Post a Comment